I don't write reviews until the product is put to use in fire condintions. I had the pack on for 12 hours and did not feel it all. It was comfortable fit and fit well with the Wolfpack hose packs. Storage is minimal so I bought the additional storage for a mop up kit which fit well and snug. I highly recommend it.
It allows for proper heat release on the back so my back was not super sweaty like other packs I have used.
Should the product or size you're looking for not be available, please call us at 406.585.1428 for availability information and backorder options.
Intelligent Equipment: Initial Attack Optimized, NFPA 1977 Certified.
The newest addition to our Fire line is all-inclusive and IA ready. Designed to meet the specific needs of Engine Companies, Helitack Crews, and Overhead, the sleek HOT SPEED drops the hydration reservoir into the lumbar, maximizing ventilation while freeing valuable upper-back real estate for hosepacks, saw packs, and bladder bags. Developed to meet CAL FIRE Spec 1728, and UL Certified to NFPA 1977-2016.
- UL Certified to NFPA 1977-2016
- CAL FIRE PPE Working Group approved to CAL FIRE Spec 1728
- Main Bag built of bombproof 500D and 1000D CORDURA®
- 3.1L Hydrapak OHY Reservoir – insulated all-black hose, bite valve hardware, and dust cover
- Dedicated Hydration Reservoir compartment located in the lumbar
- Super-discreet storage sleeve keeps three fusees fully-stowed yet ultra-accessible for those rare moments of emergency and urgency
- Sized and fully adjustable Hotshot Yoke telescopes to fit any torso length
- M-Light belt system features re-direct webbing and tensions similar to SCBAs
- Reflective striping
- YKK® #10 Uretek-coated zippers with nickel-plated sliders provide weather-resistance and maximum durability
- 250 cu-in storage pocket for headlamp, batteries, snacks, and other essential gear
- Low-profile admin pocket for notebooks, maps, IAPs
- Double-layered Fire Shelter compartment built with additional reinforcement at key wear points
- Fire Shelter can be set up for right or left-handed deployment
- All body-facing components built with spacer mesh materials for moisture transfer and body heat dispersion
- HOTSHOT LID compatible for an additional 300 cu-in of storage
- Volume: 450 cu-in (7.5L) of storage space (250 cu-in primary storage pocket + 200 cu-in hydration pocket designed for 3L reservoir) – Fire Shelter compartment and fusee sleeve not included in volume
- Weight: 3 lbs 6 oz (1.5 kg)
- Frame System: Hotshot Frame
- Country Of Manufacture: Philippines / Vietnam
- Intended Use: Engine / IA, NFPA 1977 / CAL FIRE SPEC
Frequenty Asked Questions
We're moving to a kitted system so that we can design and build packs and frames that are optimized for integration based on the function of the product. There are some cool new things in the works. In the meantime, we may be able to accommodate pack only orders based on available inventory - contact MR Customer Service or call 1.833.548.1999
As much as we would like to be able to offer our military/LE/ firefighter customers a discount on our packs, we have government contracts in these markets that prevent us from doing so.
MYSTERY RANCH accepts returns for a refund within 60 days of the original purchase date. Items must be returned in brand new, unused condition, and shipping charges are non-refundable. Please give us a call at 1.833.548.1999, and we can get you set up with a Return Authorization (RA#).
The only repair that we can offer on Dana Design products is a replacement back foam pad on packs with the ArcFlex body panel design. We can ship the foam to you and you can easily install it yourself without having to send the pack in to be repaired. Replacement back foam pads are $15.00 plus $5.00 for shipping. For any other Dana Design pack repairs, please contact Marmot or try the following reputable gear repair companies:
We are not set up to perform custom work on individual orders and no, we cannot build a pack for you in a custom color. If your concern is in regards to sizing please give us a call at 406.548.3234.
Also, please know that modifying your MYSTERY RANCH pack may void the lifetime warranty, so please think first before you start ripping straps off and cutting holes in your pack to make it more aerodynamic for winged flight.
First, start by washing your pack with hot water in the shower. Use a mild detergent like Dawn to get minor dirt and grime out of your pack. Dry the pack out of direct sunlight. DO NOT USE HARSH CHEMICALS TO CLEAN YOUR PACK. If you need to get odors/blood out of your hunting pack, please use Atsko Sport-Wash Laundry Detergent
For full cleaning and care instructions, see here
We always recommend that you size down for the waist belt. If you fall in-between sizes on the yoke, we recommend that you size up.
Why did you add a production facility in the Philippines and Vietnam?
MYSTERY RANCH added these facilities because of the increased demand for our product. We needed the additional facilities to build for customers who don't require (Berry Compliant) US production and / or don't want to pay a premium price for products built in the U.S.A. With these additional offshore facilities, we are able to focus our domestic facilities on the Berry Compliant orders.
How do I know if the pack I want is made in the US, PH, or VN?
It will be noted on the product page on our website and you are always welcome to call us and ask if you don't see the "US" or "world" icons that denote production location.
Is the quality of the packs the same?
Yes, absolutely! We carefully select the highest quality materials and ensure that all production facilities adopt our quality standards and techniques to deliver products consistent with the MYSTERY RANCH legacy. Our distributors who have received product from the US, PH, or VN are unable to tell the difference without looking at the label.
How do you ensure consistent quality?
Our factory resources use the protocol defined by our team in our production packages in order to deliver consistent quality gear. Upon introduction of new products, our product engineers visit our factory resources to work with them to develop new styles. As the product goes to production, our QA and QC teams will then visit our US, PH, and VN factories to ensure the finished goods meet our MYSTERY RANCH standards.
I'm not a Firefighter, but I run a Trail Crew in Alaska and I'm super impressed with the Hot Speed. It's a little smaller then I expected but the extra lid and a pouch or two helps a lot. It's great for carrying chain saws, gas cans, Karsonite markers, tool cases, and just about anything else I need to haul. It puts the weight low on my hips, keeping me balanced, and lets me swing tools and run saw without taking the pack off.
My only complaint is that there is no vertical attachment option. There are times when an oversized ice axe loop would come in handy for strapping on a Pulaski or other tools.
I've used LOTS of packs in the field and this is one of my all time favorites!
I use this pack for initial attack in Minnesota. I can wear this pack for hours and never get tired. This bag does not get in the way of bladder bags which was the reason I bought it. The amount of storage space is a little small, but it is enough to carry a notepad, irpg, pens, headlamp, firstaid kit, safety glasses and ear plugs, which is all you need during initial attack in this state.