The Monster: Your Red Bag, with a Brain.
This is gear that needs to fly, spike out, and pack-out; load on the mule-train, ride four deep in the truck, strap on a Type 6, shove into a compartment on the bus. With amenities to keep even Kim Kardashian happy while living out of a 60 second tent, the bombproof Monster is a streamlined yet luxurious personal gear bag for fire travel and fire camp life--Kanye not invited.
Ultra-wide opening for ease of packing and access to entire bag for ease of packing and organization. The thought-out built-in compartments and pockets allow for quarantining your dirties.
- Built-in and compressible laundry bag allows for quarantine of dirties and organization over a long few weeks living in a tent
- Carry options all stow securely for streamlined professionalism and air-travel safety, be it fixed-wing, rotor-wing, or a tuna-net sling-load
- Backpack straps allow for packing out of spike camp and other long distance carriage
- Haul handles for traditional carry
- Padded 2” duffel-style shoulder strap
- Orange web indicates harnessing components and stowage
- ID window for contact card or Red Card
- Long exterior side pockets can fit certain sleeping pads, small tent, flip flops, or other long, low-profile items
- Sleeping bag compartment can alternately function as boots and shoes storage; floating construction allows main compartment to expand or contract depending on packing
- Four compression straps minimize form factor when not fully loaded
- Two stretch mesh pockets on inner face of lid allow organization of small items like books, illumination devices, toiletries, and other personals
- Interior sleeves keep socks, underwear, and other small goods organized
- Interior 200D yellow liner improves visibility
- Built of custom spec’d 500D and 1000D CORDURA® with Teflon® and PU coatings for maximum durability, UV, and weather protection
- Uretek® coated YKK® #10 Zippers with nickel plated sliders provide exceptional weather-resistance and durability
- External seam finished with 6,6 Nylon web for extra durability
|WS17 EX Hot Monster-Black||888564167168|
The results are in Based on 5 Reviews
Great Overall Pack
I think this pack is a much better option than the standard red bag. Haven’t tested it yet but after pulling everything out of the red bag and filling this new Monster I’m very happy with it. Especially for the Cal Fire guys where you have the ability to do laundry on 24 offs. Still got everything I had in my red bag and then some. Much more pockets to organize socks, underwear, or whatever else. Great job Mystery Ranch!
Great 14 day bag for a minimalist.
I just received the new Monster Bag. I have been using a very large "Red Bag", not the FSS, but much larger. The Monster is a much more appropriate size for what I need. I can see why there are complaints that it is small, but I don't think it's any smaller than the standard FSS "Red Bag" and the layout and construction is much better. I loaded it with my 14 day setup, a BA Ranger 30 sleeping bag, BA inflatable/insulated sleeping pad, ENO Hammock setup with underquilt and tarp, 3 sets of Merino wool undergarments/socks, 2 sets of Nomex, Down Puffy coat, set of long johns and beanie, pair of civilian shorts/t-shirt, flip flops, headlamp, towel and toiletries. This leaves me very little room for extras, but that will keep me from loading too much stuff. Bottom line is it will work for me. I'd love to see the shoulder straps be removable, that pocket would be great for quick access to a raincoat or toiletries and for me the single carry strap will get the job done.
Great concept, the bag is made to last and I love features like the built in laundry bag. It is taller and narrower than the traditional FSS bag, so if your compartments are spec’d around that size you’ll run into some issues. I’m able to fit 8 rolls of shirt+socks+underwear, a set of civilian clothes and a few other things. Fitting a small sleeping bag is about as much sleeping gear as your going to fit unless you get one of the super thin ultralight pads. If you plan on sleeping in a hotel room, trailer or haul a tent separate and work 24’s or have access to laundry you can make this bag work as long as you don’t pack too heavy. If you find that you need to be completely self reliant and consolidated into a single bag for an assignment your probably going to want to go the next size up. Its too bad part of this bag couldn’t be detachable. Myself and others have started carrying small backpacks, so we’re not carrying a giant bag around anytime we shower or go to sleep.
Mystery may have missed the mark on this one
This is an awesome bag, however as mentioned in the previous review, it's a bit small for a two week assignment, especially in colder weather. As advertised however, it is a very comparable replacement to the standard red bag, if not a bit larger, but fitting a tent inside would be a struggle. The sleeping bag compartment takes up a decent amount of space inside the main compartment and would greatly benefit from a compression strap or two. The backpack straps are quite nice, however they aren't removable and the pocket they stuff into would be perfect for a space blanket or a rain fly.
Overall it's an exceptionally well made bag (duh) and is an excellent replacement for a gsa red bag, but perhaps a little limited to be a fully self contained bag for 2 weeks. If you're willing to pack light and utilize the bags within its limitations, it is a great choice.
Loved the idea of the bag and having all sorts of separate compartments but just too small... could barely hold a week's worth of fire clothes and if you wanted civilian or workout stuff for your days off or covering other stations forget about it!
I will be sending back for the bigger fire duffle.
Gave 3 stars because it's a nice pack with good design and solid construction. It might work for others just not for me and what my mission requires.