MYSTERY RANCH Brand Ambassador
Evanston, IL, grew up in Glen Ellyn, IL
Polar Explorer. Expedition Trainer. Safety & Logistics Consultant. Safety Director for Northwestern University’s new student wilderness program. Motivational Speaker.
I see expeditions as physical and mental endeavors that require a singleness of focus and total immersion in the outdoors. People always ask me for the highlights from my expeditions. Standing at the North Pole after skiing for 55 days straight is something I’ll never forget. But for me the biggest highlights come from hardworking everyday moments. Whether it is navigating through a junkyard maze of sea ice rubble, skiing into the alpenglow of the midnight sun, or the camaraderie that comes with a team safely pitching a tent in a howling blizzard, I live for moments in which effort and reward seamlessly flow together.
I’m a big believer in the positive power of nature and experiential learning. From the beginning of my career I’ve worked with youth and at-risk teens to grow, develop, and have fun in wilderness settings.
- First American Unsupported Expedition to the North Pole – 55 days, 478 miles by ski, no resupplies, 100% human-powered
- Modern Amundsen Expedition: re-staging of the 1911 race to the South Pole� �– 72, days, 1400 miles on Greenland by ski and dogsled using solely 1911-style equipment, clothing, and food.
- Ellesmere Island, Canada – 65 days, 600+ miles by skijoring, resupplied
- South Pole – guide/leader for full length expedition, 57 days, 720 miles by ski, 100% human-powered, resupplied
- Baffin Island, Canada – on-site safety/logistics manager for 100-day dogsled expedition
- Benjamin Franklin Award for the Sports and Recreation Book of the Year awarded to Forward, The First American Unsupported Expedition to the North Pole (by John Huston & Tyler Fish), by the Independent Book Publishers Association
- Finalist for a Minnesota Book Award awarded to Forward, The First American Unsupported Expedition to the North Pole (by John Huston & Tyler Fish)
- Named to list of 110 people in the outdoors world who have made a difference by Gear Junkie/Wigwam.
- Proud Of:
- Supporting youth and at-risk teens to take on challenges and have fun in the outdoors for over 20 years.
- Being a husband and father of young twins.
- Ambassador and advisor for Chicago Voyagers – at-risk teen adventure program.
- Ambassador for the Voyageur Outward Bound School
What Mystery Ranch Packs do you Run?
- Terraplane, Scree, Mission Duffle, Java, Booty Bag
- MSR, Therm-a-rest, Victorinox, Oakley, Thermos, Swix, Toko, SealLine, Dermatone, Steger Mukluks, Wapiti Woolies, Crazy Creek, Gator
"I may say that this is the greatest factor: the way in which the expedition is equipped, the way in which every difficulty is foreseen, and precautions taken for meeting or avoiding it. Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time, this is called bad luck."
"Optimism is true moral courage."
"You are what you eat."